Monday Morning Endorphin Fuel / Executive Director Job Opening - 1/11/10

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Mon Jan 11 11:39:58 EST 2010

- FUEL FOR ROWING INTO THE NEW YEAR
- LINK TO MICHELANGELO STUDY & CREATIVE PRAISE
- EVIDENCE THAT THE NEWSLIST WORKS
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB OPENING IN MICHIGAN

###############################

- FUEL FOR ROWING INTO THE NEW YEAR

Some of you, from time-to-time, send emails concerned about the complaints I
receive about certain posts to the list - you say you worry about my spirit
and that I'll let the turkeys get me down.  That made me realize that I must
mention the controversy and complaints and fail to share the fact that I
also get what I consider to be an overwhelming amount of praise and
gratitude.  I just mentioned this to a caller, and she said I should share
some of the good stuff so that people wouldn't worry about me and that you
also can have that same warm glow I get from the generosity and creativity
of members of the coalition.  So, just to show you that I get lots of good
stuff from lots of good people - fuel and inspiration to keep rowing ­ here
are two that just came in, one right behind the other first thing this
morning.  It's like this most days.  I thank you for your thanks.  You are
my sunshine.  I hope you're all sharing appreciations like this with your
family, spouse, colleagues to keep their engines running.   :)  - diane

##############################

- LINK TO MICHELANGELO STUDY & CREATIVE PRAISE

Lots of the praise is creative and whimsical. Scott Haltzman, for instance,
always finds a way to give me a huge belly laugh when he writes to thank me
for something. And laughing is the best fuel....the endorphin release.
Probably part of the reason he gets such high ratings at his workshops -
laughing helps the learning go down. Which reminds me, we're adding a
Marriage Comedy Club to the conference this year -- all about how helping
couples laugh will help change their perspective, shine the light of the
human-condition perspective on their fights about who should take out the
garbage or whether or not they're having enough sex.  It will be Sunday
night, included in the conference registration fee (no need to buy an extra
ticket) and will feature impressive headliners from TV, movies, and the
Marriage Initiative circuit.  Come and let us all laugh together. - diane

> Dear Diane,
> Thank you so much for your brilliant newsletter.
>
> The full Michelangelo research article is available at
> http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/123207290/HTMLSTART
>
> May the cosmic spirit of love sit you on her knee, give you a big hug, stroke
> your hair and say "Well done my daughter. Well done."
> Best wishes
> Stephen

############################
- EVIDENCE THAT THE NEWSLIST WORKS

This, of course, is the best kind of inspiration, evidence that the
listserve works.  I also get this kind of thanks from grad student
researchers looking for subjects to take their surveys (these students may
be the most thankful of anyone), from reporters grateful for folks to
interview (also lots of heartfelt thanks from journalists), and from folks
so happy to fill their classes or their teleconferences.  Wish I could share
each of these thanks with you since you're the ones that deliver, but that's
pretty much all we'd have on the list if I did that.  So just hold it in
your heart that people are grateful for your help.  -d

> Good morning Diane,
>
> As you know we posted the Executive Director Job for Marriage Matters Jackson
> on your site in September and after reviewing a number of resumes and
> interviewing 4 candidates we haven't found the right person yet.  So the Board
> decided to launch round two of our search and wanted to repost the position
> back on SmartMarriages in January.
>
> So with that in mind could you please repost it for us?  The position
> description is below and attached.
>
> BTW:  Of the 5 sites we posted on in round one yours gave us the most and best
> results by far so it's the only one we're posting on this time.  You do an
> awesome job and provide some great exposure.
>
> Thank You!
>
> Dave Near
> Marrigage Matters Jackson

I'll get this posted right away on the Job Listing site.
http://www.smartmarriages.com/jobs.html

If you have jobs, listings are free.  Maybe we can help lower the
unemployment rate.  - diane
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB OPENING IN MICHIGAN

Position Title:  Executive Director  - Nonprofit - Jackson, MI

Position Description: This is a new, full time staff position that will
report to the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is responsible for
the leadership of Marriage Matters Jackson through the development of strong
partnership with the Board of Directors, the MMJ staff and community,
religious and business leaders.   This includes managing the MMJ staff,
budget, fundraising, programs and overall operations, as well as
implementing the organization¹s vision & strategic plan, developing and
implementing an effective and efficient organizational structure, and
leading the organization through the currently funded transition to a new
fully independent nonprofit by the summer of 2010.

Preferred Qualifications:
€     Bachelor¹s Degree
€     A minimum of 5 years of nonprofit management experience
€     A minimum of 3 years of experience in related field
€     Familiarity with the Marriage Education movement
€     Demonstrated leadership capability and people management skills
€     Proven ability to implement strategies necessary for success
€     Strong action orientation and results focus
€     Demonstrated skills in fundraising, including grants management
€     Demonstrated interpersonal effectiveness
€     Strong business acumen and financial management skills
€     Excellent oral and written communications skills

Key Personal Qualifications:
€     A passion for marriage
€     If married, be in a healthy marriage
€     Personally aligned with the MMJ Vision and Mission

Compensation & Benefits:
€     $60,000-$70,000 USD/year depending upon relevant experience
€     Healthcare Benefits

Please send resumes and cover letters to (e-mail or mail ONLY):
     e-mail:      JackNear at charter.net
        Mail:     Marriage Matters Jackson, Attn: David Near
                  536 N. Jackson Street, Jackson, MI  49201

Organization Overview: Marriage Matters Jackson
Marriage Matters Jackson (MMJ) is organized to prepare, promote and preserve
healthy marriage by providing enrichment and educational events, workshops
and programs for single, engaged and married residents of Jackson, Michigan
and surrounding communities.  MMJ has been in operation since 2006 as a
community initiative and is currently in the process of a funded transition
to an independent, self-sustainable nonprofit.

###############################

Diane Sollee, Director, Smart Marriages and
The Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education, LLC (CMFCE)
5310 Belt Rd NW,
Washington, DC 20015
www.smartmarriages.com
202-362-3332
diane at smartmarriages.com

14th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, The Shingle Creek Resort Hotel,
Orlando, Florida, July 6-13, 2010 (General Conference July 8-11)
Pre-Conference Training Institutes Tues, Wed, Thurs, July 6-8
Post-Conference Training Institutes Mon, Tues, July 12-13

Shingle Creek Resort ($110 single/double): http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/

Conference fees, information, and FAQs at:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

Exhibit Applications:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/exhibits.html

Subscribe to the FREE Smart Marriages® e-newslist at
http://www.smartmarriages.com

Directory of Programs:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Directory.BrowsePrograms