Marriage Week/ Budget Talk/ Conference Institute Questions / Brochures - 2/3/10

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Wed Feb 3 14:37:18 EST 2010

- VALENTINE'S DAY IN SACRAMENTO: LEARNING TO WRITE LOVE LETTERS
- MARRIAGE WEEK CELEBRATIONS IN PINELLAS PARK FLORIDA
- BUDGET TALK
- CONFERENCE INSTITUTE QUESTIONS
- BROCHURES ARE MAILING THIS WEEK

################################

- VALENTINE'S DAY IN SACRAMENTO: LEARNING TO WRITE LOVE LETTERS

Soft words, hugs and kisses  can help make a good marriage great
Sacramento Bee
Feb 2, 2010
By Niesha Lofing

> One local organization will even help you figure out how to emote. The Healthy
> Marriage Project of Greater Sacramento, a federally funded program that
> provides relationship and skills training, is holding two workshops Saturday
> for sweethearts who want to pen a good love letter.
>
> "We feel it'll be a particular interest for men who are trying to figure out
> what to say on that greeting card, " said Norm Rogers, director of educational
> services. "It's kind of a lost art. And texting doesn't cut it."
>
> This Valentine's Day, expect a love letter  in the mail, honey, but I'll
> include the postscript here ­ I will always choose you.

For the full article: http://tinyurl.com/y9ew7nr

################################
- MARRIAGE WEEK CELEBRATIONS IN PINELLAS PARK FLORIDA

Family Resources¹ You&Me.WE celebrates National Marriage Week Feb 7 - 14
with a series of events open to all couples including three free date nights
and Sexuality and Intimacy Retreat get-away weekend for Valentine¹s Day at a
bargain rate of $275 per couple for a one night stay at the Innisbrook
Resort & Golf Club, two breakfasts, a banquet and all materials.
Details available at http://www.youandmewe.org

####################################

- BUDGET TALK

I'm hearing from all kinds of people who are reading the budget proposal -
EACH with a different interpretation.  Some say the 2011 Marriage Grant
money is toast. Some say it's safe.  Most agree that AFTER 2011,
fagedaboudit.....don't count on federal funding of marriage education.  I'm
just reporting as I said I would, don't know who is right, and nothing
definitive though as I monitor the smoke signals from the Healthy Marriage
Initiatives across the country it appears that a lot of people are hustling
to beef up their Fatherhood programs.  - diane

> Diane, All this talk about the budget, reminds me of your advice a few years
> back. We should not put all our eggs (and hopes) in one basket. With or
> without federal funds the work goes on and our focus should always be on the
> goal of raising awareness of the benefits to our society of strong marriages
> and families.
> Steve Beirne

That's still my advice.  As I've said the past three years opening the
conference, most of us didn't get any of the federal grant money.  We worked
at marriage education for 10 years before the feds stepped in with their
$150 million in demonstration grants, and we must and will continue as
before. It would be a great to inspire local leaders, as in Chattanooga, to
see that strengthening marriage is the best and surest way to strengthen the
whole village ­ encourage private foundation and corporate funding.  And we
need to help congregations see that a true and sane ministry must include
ministering to marriages. There are many many ways to get this marriage job
done.  BE SURE to attend the Julie Baumgardner & Marshall Howard keynote
luncheon on Sunday July 11 - you will leave fired up, tooled up, and
determined.  I was profoundly changed just be listening in on one web
conference with them. You can attend this lunch keynote (included in the
general conference registration) and also sign up for a full day of targeted
coaching on "what's next".....how to maintain funding with what's out there.
- diane

> 914 One Day - Monday, July 12 - NO CE
> Fundraising & Marketing 2.0
> Julie Baumgardner, MS, CFLE, Marshall Howard, JD
> Exciting strategies for sustaining your marriage strengthening efforts into
> the
> future - with or without grants. Who, when, and how to ask and creative,
> cost-effective messages to transform your community. $50 spouse discount.
> Click for more information: http://www.smartmarriages.com/FTF.fundraising.html

I also strongly encourage you to get Marshall Howard's book, "Let's Have
Lunch Together" NOW and start reading and plotting in advance.  Order here
from $18 used:  http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Media.Booklist

###############################
- CONFERENCE INSTITUTE QUESTIONS

If one asks, others might wonder, sharing Frequently Asked Questions.  Also,
see the FAQs page: http://www.smartmarriages.com/faqs.html

____________________
> Diane-
> I am interested in attending with my wife the PREP training at your conference
> in July.  I would like to get clarification on the conference pricing,
> registration deadlines, and general layout of the conference.  I am interested
> in the instructor training for the PREP program and my wife will also want to
> attend and I understand there is a discount for her, but have not been able to
> figure out exactly what cost is.
> BR
> Instructor, Learning Services

There is a spouse discount for Institutes of $50 a day based on your sharing
one set of materials.  There are also two different prices for Institutes,
one "with the conference" and one "without the conference".  If you both are
also attending the conference, your fees for the PREP three-day training
would be $405 for you and $255 for your wife.  If you're attending ONLY the
Institute, your fee for the PREP Institute would be $555 and your wife's fee
would be $405. You see that that means you could, in effect, add the full
conference with all it includes for $215 additional payment for each of you.

It's explained here: http://www.smartmarriages.com/conference.fees.html
- diane

################################

- BROCHURES ARE MAILING THIS WEEK
Get me your addresses if you'd like to order 10 or 50 or a carton.  - diane

################################

**************************
Copyright Smart Marriages®

This is a moderated list. Submissions and comments are read by Diane Sollee.
Please indicate if your comment is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE
include your email address and/or url as part of your signature.

With thousands of subscribers, not all comments can be shared. Opinions
expressed are not necessarily shared by members of the Coalition.

visit: http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Newsletter.Subscribe

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

Or, if you lose track of a post, you can find the contact information for
programs mentioned on the Smart Marriages Directory of Resources:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Directory.BrowsePrograms

14th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, The Shingle Creek Resort Hotel,
Orlando, Florida, July 6-13, 2010 (General Conference July 8-11)
Pre-Conference Training Institutes Tues, Wed, Thurs, July 6-8
Up to 70 Hrs CE

Shingle Creek: http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/

For Conference information and Presenter & Exhibit applications:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html

Order Smart Marriages conference audio & video CD/DVD/MP3s: 800-241-7785 or