Useful Research / Secrets / Tweetzels - 5/4/09

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Mon May 4 18:43:17 EDT 2009

- INTERESTING/USEFUL MARRIAGE EDUCATION RESEARCH DOCUMENT
- HALTZMAN'S SECRETS SERIES
- RETWEETS
- SPEAKING OF TWITTER

###################################

- INTERESTING/USEFUL MARRIAGE EDUCATION RESEARCH DOCUMENT

A Snapshot of Emerging Research Themes that Influence Marriage Education
Authors: Paul Amato, Frank Fincham, Alan Hawkins, Galena Rhoades (Bravo to
the authors it's wonderfully accessible clear writing.)

One of the findings:
> Infidelity is on the rise for certain demographics and is not commonly
> addressed in marriage education curricula- Men aged 65-90 and women and men
> aged 18-25 were the fastest growing groups to commit adultery.

We have this so covered in Orlando!  See the Infidelity Track and bone up
your knowledge and skills:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/sex.track.html

(BTW, several of you have written to protest that I've included SEX and
INFIDELITY in the same track.  In the past, we never had enough of either to
give each its own track.  This year we do.....I just need time to get to it
breaking them out.  Someone else wrote to suggest that it felt wrong to
schedule our heavy Sex year in Orlando ­ the world's top FAMILY destination.
It wasn't planned - Sex just happens.... )

Here are some additional highlights:

> Direct recruiting and outreach activities geared toward low-income couples as
> a pair rather than as individuals are optimal for engaging them in marriage
> education services- A large scale implementation project to provide marriage
> and relationship education to low-income couples is currently underway.
>
> € State surveys show their residents have a strong commitment to the concept
> of marriage and an openness to marriage education services despite
> consistently high divorce rates- Researchers are examining attitudes on
> marriage and divorce in order to target audiences for prevention services.
>
> € Negative adolescent behaviors are associated with divorce- After parents
> divorced, a lack of co-parenting tended to result in negative behaviors in
> adolescents.
>
> € Joint custody, although a complex issue, enhances father/child emotional
> bonds- European researchers are finding that joint custody arrangements often
> times result in enhanced emotional bonds between father and child.
>
> € DVD and WEB-BASED delivery systems may be a way to reach more couples who
> need marriage education - Alternative methods to in-class relationships
> training and face-to-face marital counseling are being investigated in hope of
> reaching a wider audience.

The publishers, The National Healthy Marriage Resource Center, will be
exhibiting in Orlando and will make this and a whole range of resources
available.  Plan to spend a few hrs at their exhibit.

Also, proud that all the author/researchers except Paul are presenting in
Orlando - in fact two, Frank and Galena are doing keynotes. ;) Tah dah!

Here's the full report in pdf format:
http://www.healthymarriageinfo.org/docs/ResearchSynthesisFINAL.pdf

######################################
- HALTZMAN'S SECRETS SERIES

Look how happy Scott is - writing books must be one of the Secrets to
Happiness!  http://tinyurl.com/c79t3j

You have three chances to study with Scott in Orlando - catch the happiness
approach in his acclaimed Secrets of Happily Married Women and Win Your
Wife's Heart Forever workshops and his latest:

> 511
> Resiliency in Families: The Stress Antidote
> Scott Haltzman, MD
> Bad things can happen to even the best families. Use the Resiliency Survival
> Kit and The Secrets of Happy Families survey to teach families how to bounce
> back from whatever hits.

###########################
- RETWEETS

I've retweeted these, but repeating them here for those not on Twitter.

This one I sent to the list awhile back, but sending it again.....you gotta
WATCH IT and forward it: Amazing video about information technology: "Did
you know?" http://tinyurl.com/5o4jva  (from JanicemBell)

For those working with couples facing chronic or serious illness:
Top 10 Movies about Families and Illness Suffering
http://www.janicembell.com/archives/222

offers free samples - you need to pay to get their more in depth tutorials.

If you want to follow SmartMarriages on Twitter (several have asked) - I
don't have time to walk you through it, but here is how:

> start at http://www.twitter.com  Create an an account.  Then search for
smartmarriages.  Click the FOLLOW button.  Then to read the twits you go back to
your account and they're there.  See Lynda.com and YouTube for how to get
started free instructions.

Copyright Smart Marriages®

This is a moderated list. Submissions and comments are read by Diane Sollee.
Please indicate if your comment is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE
include your email address and/or url as part of your signature.

With thousands of subscribers, not all comments can be shared. Also realize
that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by members of the

visit: http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Newsletter.Subscribe

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

13th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, The Shingle Creek,
Orlando, Florida, July 6-12, 2009 (General Conference July 8-11)
Pre-Conference Training Institutes July 6-8
Post-Conference Training Institutes July 12

Shingle Creek Resort: http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/

To download a Conference Brochure, register Online, or for Exhibit
Information: http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html