Next Time I'm Skipping Love / Elder Care / New ACF Deputy appointed / - 6/17/09

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Wed Jun 17 15:19:15 EDT 2009

- NEXT TIME I'M SKIPPING LOVE
- ELDER CARE: PRESERVING YOUR MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
- ANNOUNCEMENT: NEW PRINCIPAL DEPUTY AT ACF: DAVID HANSELL

####################################

- NEXT TIME I'M SKIPPING LOVE

> Two women sitting in a restaurant, one is saying to the other: "This time, I'm
> skipping love and looking for value."
> 2008, The New Yorker Magazine

Or, at the Orlando Smart Marriages conference learn how to look for both in
John Van Epp's How to Avoid Falling for a Jerk (SINGLES Only) opening night
session (8:45pm Wed) and his How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk Seminar Sat 4pm.
Earn 1.5hrs CE at either session and learn how to teach the *right out of
the box* Avoid Marrying a Jerk (Jerkette) program in your setting.  See the
full Singles track here: http://www.smartmarriages.com/single.track.html

And the list of the TOOBs - Teach Out of the Box Programs, here:

################################

- ELDER CARE: PRESERVING YOUR MARRIAGE AND FAMILY

As we prepare for the conference, I hear from so many of you who are facing
challenges with elder care - a parent with a sudden stroke, Alzheimer's or
other devastating diagnosis, a fall.

I want to remind you of an absolute treasure, the best resource - Terry
Hargrave's 2007 90-min workshop:

> 606
> Caring for Marriage while Caring for Aging Parents
> Terry Hargrave, PhD
> Through movie clips and life stories, learn to outwit the pitfalls that can
> drive a wedge between couples and how, instead, to turn caretaking challenges
> into opportunities for love & growth.

It is invaluable for couples and extended family members.  I strongly
encourage you to listen and then to get all your siblings and their spouses
to listen.  It will help you get on the same page and help keep the extended
family system intact, marriages intact and, of course, provide the BEST in
elder care.  Terry Hargrave has extensive experience both professionally and
personally in this realm and he generously provides loving, step-by-step
guidelines and the rationale behind them.   The things you don't think of
until you fall down the rabbit hole into this strange new world and your
family and marriage fall to pieces.

Order #757-606 from the Denver conference.

You can download it for $9.95 or get it on CD for $15.95 and pass it around
at http://www.iplaybacksmartmarriages.com/ or call 800-241-7785

################################
- ANNOUNCEMENT: NEW PRINCIPAL DEPUTY AT ACF: DAVID HANSELL

To orient you, this would be Chris Gersten's replacement at ACF who will
serve as deputy to Assistant Secretary Carmen Nazario
http://tinyurl.com/ny48t9. As I understand it, Nazario, nominated as Wade
Horn's replacement must be approved by Congress.  Hansell is an appointment
that does not require approval - so he's a sure thing.  We'll work on
getting one or both of them to Smart Marriages in 2010.  - diane

> Secretary Sebelius has appointed David Hansell, currently the Commissioner of
> the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, has been
> named Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Administration for Children
> and Families.  Drawing on his experience as the leader of the state agency
> charged with oversight of support programs and economic assistance for
> low-income New Yorkers, Mr. Hansell brings to ACF a breadth of knowledge in
> the development and delivery of social service policy and programs.  He has
> assisted in the management of a wide variety of programs, including TANF,
> child support, LIHEAP, food stamps, and services for victims of domestic
> violence, persons with HIV/AIDS, home care clients, and adults in need of
> protection.  Mr. Hansell will be joining ACF on June 29.
>
> David Hansell Bio:
> Prior to his appointment as Commissioner of the NY OTDA, Mr. Hansell was Chief
> of Staff of the New York City Human Resources Administration, where he
> assisted in the management of all of the city¹s public assistance programs.
> Before joining HRA, Mr. Hansell served in a number of positions at Gay Men¹s
> Health Crisis, including Director of Legal Services and Deputy Director for
> Government and Public Affairs.  From 1997-2001, he was the Associate
> Commissioner for HIV Services at the New York City Department of Health, and
> subsequently served as Associate Commissioner for Planning and Program
> Implementation.  From 2000-2006, he was an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the
> New York University Wagner School of Public Service.  He has also been a
> consultant on health policy and social services issues to a wide range of
> governmental and non-profit organizations.  Mr. Hansell is a graduate of
> Haverford College and Yale Law School.

####################################

**************************
Copyright Smart Marriages®

This is a moderated list. Submissions and comments are read by Diane Sollee.
Please indicate if your comment is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE
include your email address and/or url as part of your signature.

With thousands of subscribers, not all comments can be shared. Also realize
that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by members of the

visit: http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Newsletter.Subscribe

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

13th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, The Shingle Creek,
Orlando, Florida, July 6-12, 2009 (General Conference July 8-11)
Pre-Conference Training Institutes July 6-8
Post-Conference Training Institutes July 12

Shingle Creek Resort: http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/

To download a Conference Brochure, register Online, or for Exhibit
Information: http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html