Mysteries of Love / Election Hopes / Weigh in!! / Men and Marriage / Leading Your Best Life -11/6/08

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Thu Nov 6 14:23:58 EST 2008

- WHERE TO FIND MASTERING THE MYSTERIES?
- OBAMA WEBSITE ON FATHERHOOD AND FAMILIES
- NEW ADMINISTRATION IS BUILDING A NEW WEBSITE
- WILCOX ON HOPE
- THE 7 BENEFITS OF MARRIAGE FOR MEN (AND THEIR CHILDREN)
- SUE JOHNSON AND MAGGIE SCARF UP FOR BOOK AWARD

#######################################

- WHERE TO FIND MASTERING THE MYSTERIES?

Yesterday's post that featured the testimony from Bento Leal on using the
Mastering the Mysteries of Love program elicited many emails like this one:

> Good Morning! Thank you for your continuing email!  How can I obtain
> information on the "Mastering The Mysteries of Love" program?
> Thank you in advance for your consideration.
> Rev Powers

I should anticipate these requests and include a link to the Directory every
time I mention a program.  Along with Mastering the Mysteries, you can find
links to all/any of the marriage education programs mentioned on the e-list
on the Directory, here:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Directory.BrowsePrograms

AND, you can become a certified Instructor in Mastering the Mysteries and
many other programs at the Smart Marriages Orlando conference. See the
Training Institute schedule here:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/institutes.html

And, yes, you can list your marriage education program on the Directory. See
the Directory for listing instructions.  - diane

###################################

- OBAMA WEBSITE ON FATHERHOOD AND FAMILIES

Diane,
I just read the listserve e-mail about the HOPE that Obama will support our
efforts to bring marriage, family, couples, and singles the tools they need
to build stronger families. The following information was found on Obama's
campaign web site. Let's all pray that this includes our efforts and that he
will follow through with his campaign promise to Strengthen Families at
Home.
Dana Anderson
Augusta, GA

Strengthen Families at Home
Strengthen Fatherhood and Families: Barack Obama has re-introduced the
Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act to remove some of the
government penalties on married families, crack down on men avoiding child
support payments, ensure that support payments go to families instead of
state bureaucracies, fund support services for fathers and their families,
and support domestic violence prevention efforts. As president, Obama will
sign this bill into law and continue to implement innovative measures to
strengthen families.

For more information:
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/family/#families-at-home

####################################
- NEW ADMINISTRATION IS BUILDING A NEW WEBSITE

Diane
In today's Washington Post is the new administration's website.  Probably
because it's a work in progress and probably because the url was published
in today's Washington Post, it's hard to reach.  You may not get through on
your first attempt - it looks different every hour. But I suggest you share
this with the list and encourage them to share their ideas.  The site has a
Strengthening Families at Home site (see above) and a box for submitting
ideas.

Submit your ideas
Of the People by the People.
There is no more important resource for changing the direction of this
country and defining the ideas that will transform American than the
American people.  Tell us your ideas and be part of the change you're
looking for.

Bill Coffin
Special Assistant for Marriage Education
ACF/HHS

#######################################
- WILCOX ON HOPE

The National Review
November 6, 2008

The election of Barack Obama to the presidency presents the black community,
and the nation as a whole, with an unprecedented opportunity to confront one
of our country¹s most pressing problems: the perilous state of the black
family. As Obama himself noted in his Father¹s Day speech
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11094.html>  this year, more than
half of all black children now find themselves in single-parent households.
And, as he pointed out, ³children who grow up without a father are five
times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime,² they are
significantly more likely to drop out of high school and end up in prison,
and they are much more likely to ³become teenage parents themselves.² He
also connected the travails of the black family to the welfare of the black
community itself: ³the foundations of our community are weaker because of
[fatherlessness].²

In his Father¹s Day speech, Obama identified policies that might strengthen
fatherhood and marriage in the African American community ‹ from expanding
the Earned Income Tax Credit to jobs programs for poor fathers to
eliminating marriage penalties built into our nation¹s welfare policies. As
importantly, Obama also acknowledged the limits of government action. ³But
we also need families to raise our children. We need fathers to realize that
responsibility does not end at conception. We need them to realize that what
makes you a man is not the ability to have a child ‹ it¹s the courage to
raise one.² And Obama offered a message of personal and familial
responsibility grounded in his own experience of being raised by a single
mother, and his desire to ³break the cycle² by giving his own two daughters
a different family life.

That desire is apparent to all who watch Barack and Michelle Obama with one
another, and with Sasha and Malia. They present a decidedly bourgeois
tableau of a successful, happy, married, and intact black family to the
world. President Barack Obama¹s evident commitment to his family, and his
willingness to use the bully pulpit on behalf of fatherhood, could play an
important role in renewing marriage and fatherhood in the black community.
If President Barack Obama¹s family-related policies, public rhetoric, and
personal example help to strengthen African American family life, the Obama
presidency will have made a signal contribution to our national life.

‹W. Bradford Wilcox, associate professor of sociology at the University of
Virginia, is currently writing a book on religion and family life among
African Americans and Latinos.

#####################################
- THE 7 BENEFITS OF MARRIAGE FOR MEN (AND THEIR CHILDREN)

Talk about HOPE.  I highly recommend that you listen to this podcast by
Roland Warren, president of the National Fatherhood Initiative.  Also
hopeful, he was interviewed on the podcast by the Rosen law firm for their
Stay Happily Married Campaign.  Listen and hear gems like these explained:

Gems like these:
In Fatherhood, as in real estate, it's all about Location, Location,
Location
Kids spell love: TIME

Listen here. And if you know how, forward it to the new administration:
http://stayhappilymarried.com/2008/11/03/the-7-benefits-of-marriage-for-men

-  SUE JOHNSON AND MAGGIE SCARF UP FOR BOOK AWARD

Two of our Orlando Smart Marriages presenters have books in contention for
the Multiple Sclerosis Society's Better Life Award.  There are five
finalists for this award which will go to the book that "most inspires
people to live their best life."

Order the books here and bring them to the conference for autographs:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Media.Booklist

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Sue Johnson
Heralded by the New York Times as the couple therapy with the highest rate
of success, Emotionally Focused Therapy works because it views the love
relationship as an attachment bond. This idea, once controversial, has
become widely popular among therapists. In HOLD ME TIGHT, Johnson translates
her model for the general public ­  introduces the concept of "effective
dependency", key moments  - from Recognizing the Demon Dialogue to
Revisiting a Rocky Moment, and seven healing conversations. Through case
studies and practical exercises, couples learn how to nurture their
relationships and ensure a lifetime of

September Songs: The Good News About Marriage in the Later Years
Maggie Scarf
An unexpected‹and surprisingly positive‹ exploration of the benefits
awaiting married baby boomers in their ³bonus² years. Scarf finds that
marriage has undergone fascinating changes since she wrote her best-selling
Intimate Partners. Thirty years have been added to life expectancy‹which
means couples will  live together for years after their children leavet
home, and well past retirement. This extra time brings dramatic change to
marriage. Through a series of interviews Scarf delves into encouraging
insights and guidelines for how to make these bonus years the happiest and
most fulfilling of their lives.

**************************
Copyright CMFCE. All rights reserved.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response.

Send submissions and comments for the listserv or for list moderator, Diane
Sollee, to: diane at smartmarriages.com  (In other words, do NOT simply hit
"reply". If you hit reply your email will disappear into cyberspace.)

This is a moderated list. Submissions and comments are read by Diane Sollee.
Please indicate if your comment is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE
include your email address and/or url as part of your signature.

With thousands of subscribers, not all comments can be shared. Also realize
that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by members of the

visit: http://www.smartmarriages.com/app/Newsletter.Subscribe

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

13th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, Shingle Creek Resort,
Orlando, Florida, July 6-12, 2009 (General Conference July 8-11)
Pre-Conference Training Institutes July 6-8
Post-Conference Training Institutes July 12

Shingle Creek Resort: http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/

Conference schedule, registration, & exhibit information will be posted as
it becomes available at:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html