Song of Songs Tour and Review - 1/3/08

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Thu Jan 3 13:36:08 EST 2008

- REMINDER TO GET ON THE SCHEDULE
- SONG OF SONGS: A REVIEW BY MOVIE MYSTIC, STEPHEN SIMON
###################

- REMINDER TO GET ON THE SCHEDULE
I'm resending the info about the Song of Songs College and Community tour
reminded by the wonderful film review below.  I know many of you have been
away for the holidays, but there is still time to get on the film tour
schedule.  I'm talking with the producers about screening Song Of Songs II
at the 2008 Smart Marriages if it's ready in time.  - diane

> - SONG OF SONGS COLLEGE/COMMUNITY FILM TOUR - GET ON THE SCHEDULE
>
> And, speaking of tools to make our work easier, Song of Songs, the
> documentary film series on love and relationships, is launching a national
> college/community tour in time for Marriage Week 2008! I'm so excited I
> could burst.
>
> This is the film that many of you saw at the Denver June 2007 Smart
> Marriages conference where it premiered. We weren't the only ones that liked
> it. It's been nominated for an Emmy and it's now airing on Current TV and
> our own Terry Smith, Director of a CHMI in Florida met with them in Denver
> and came up with the idea for this tour.  Terry will host the first stop in
> Florida on Feb 8th.
>
> The producers are hoping to reach as many people as possible and want to set
> free screenings and Q & A's at college campuses or community centers across
> the country.  This is a wonderful film to feature at a youth or community
> event ­ it will spark discussion, media interest - and makes a great a
> teaching film.
>
> Several major universities have already signed up. Get on the schedule,
> ASAP!  The producers ask only for minimal travel expenses from
> hosts/partners. Those of you near Tampa have a good chance to tag on around
> the week of Feb 8th - TALLAHASSEE, AUBURN, CHATTANOOGA, ATLANTA,
> JACKSONVILLE, MIAMI, GAINESVILLE.
>
> In addition to the film screenings, SOS producers will capture the pulse of
> young love by interviewing hundreds of college students and professors in Q
> & A and focus groups all stops along the way.
>
> For Info or to sign up, Contact Michael Romero at: 310-526-7334
> Michael Romero <michael at xlanticmedia.com>
> Watch the trailer and learn more about the project at
> http://www.songofsongs.tv

#######################

- SONG OF SONGS: A REVIEW BY MOVIE MYSTIC, STEPHEN SIMON
December 2007

> Interspersed amidst the various love relationships that are explored are the
> loving, wise, and insightful observations of relationship guru Harville
> Hendrix, whose understanding of the human search for love is nothing less than
> inspiring. One of the most moving moments in the film is when Hendrix observes
> that many people run away from relationships when they get challenging, when
> the going gets very tough. Ironically, Hendrix says, it's the people who
> persevere during those dark times who later discover that things get very dark
> just before they're about to get so much better.

> Passionate, mesmerizing, humorous, and touching, SONG OF SONGS is a paean to
> love in all its wonderful, messy, and complex glory. In addition, film maker
> Brickler's background as a musician serves the film beautifully, as the music
> throughout is both haunting and utterly romantic.

THE MOVIE MYSTIC
a review by Stephen Simon

Since the wild success of THE SECRET, dozens, if not hundreds, of filmmakers
have been approaching investors and producers, claiming to have the “next”
version of THE SECRET. At the Spiritual Cinema Circle, we have seen the
filmed results of some of these attempts. Trying to imitate someone else's
success, however, is where Hollywood itself has gone so awry in the last
decade or so. There will be no “next” version of THE SECRET, any more than
THE SECRET itself was the “next” version of WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW?  The
next wonderful Spiritual Cinema documentary about the human condition can
only come from a filmmaker's unique vision and passion, having nothing
whatsoever to do with precedent.

Enter SONG OF SONGS, film maker Chris Brickler's debut film. What
distinguishes SONGS from so many other films is its compassion, love, and
empathy for those who FALL in love and then find themselves “bewitched,
bothered, and bewildered” by the every day challenges of BEING in love.

The delights at the center of the film are the filmmaker's grandparents, who
have been married for sixty-five years, a feat utterly unthinkable even
fifty or so years ago. Heck, people didn't even live that long until very
recently, let alone be married for almost seven decades. Put another way,
the senior Bricklers got hitched just after America entered World War II and
three years before the first atomic bomb was dropped. How do you manage to
stay married, and, by the way, very happily married, through all the changes
that sixty-five years can bring? Well, just ask the Bricklers and they'll
tell you, with insight, compassion, and a healthy dose of humor. One of the
most touching moments in the film occurs when Mrs. Brickler (now in her late
eighties) gets a very loving kiss from Mr. Brickler, after gently chiding
him to do so.

Most of the people interviewed for the film are folks just like all of us
who are either in various stages of relationships, or are alone and looking
for their next partner. The film gently underscores the point that love is,
to all of us, an enduring mystery that reveals more of itself every day both
in our interactions with others and also in our solitary moments of
reflection. As revealed in the film, we are always searching for those
answers, knowing full well that each answer inevitably leads to the next
question.

Interspersed amidst the various love relationships that are explored are the
loving, wise, and insightful observations of relationship guru Harville
Hendrix, whose understanding of the human search for love is nothing less
than inspiring. One of the most moving moments in the film is when Hendrix
observes that many people run away from relationships when they get
challenging, when the going gets very tough. Ironically, Hendrix says, it's
the people who persevere during those dark times who later discover that
things get very dark just before they're about to get so much better.

It is that sense of optimism and hope that permeates the entire film. Made
by a filmmaker who obviously feels a great sense of both camaraderie and
compassion with the people in his film, SONG OF SONGS comes along just as we
celebrate Valentine's Day and we at the Spiritual Cinema Circle are honored
to present its world premiere in our February collection of films. See it
with someone you love…or want to love…or have loved. And save a special
place in your heart for Grandmother and Grandfather Brickler. If there were
a contest for America's grandparents, I think the Bricklers might win in a
landslide….and I for one would love to see their victory speech.

Stephen Simon co-founded www.spiritualcinemacircle.com, and produced such
films as SOMEWHERE IN TIME and WHAT DREAMS MAY COME. He also directed and
produced CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD and INDIGO, and is the author of THE FORCE
IS WITH YOU, Mystical Movie Messages That Inspire our Lives.

Members of the Spiritual Cinema Circle  will receive this film as part of
the February 2008 Spiritual Cinema Circle DVD collection.

***** SONG OF SONGS will be the feature film of the month for February in
The Spiritual Cinema Circle (a film club of over 25,000 people in 70
countries).
http://www.ncreview.com/video/video/song-of-songs.html

#######################
Send submissions and comments for the listserv to: diane at smartmarriages.com

PLEASE include your email address and/or url as part of your signature.

Please also understand that with thousands of subscribers, not all comments
can be shared. Also realize that opinions expressed are not necessarily
shared by members of the Coalition.

use the form at: http://www.smartmarriages.com. Click Newsletter/Listserv -
in the left column under the puzzle piece.

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

12th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, Hilton San Francisco Hotel,
July 2 - 5, 2008
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 30-July 2
Post-Conference Training Institutes July 6

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html