Marriage Education in the Workplace makes it onto National ABC World News - 9/16/07

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Mon Sep 17 15:15:09 EDT 2007

- MARRIAGE EDUCATION IN THE WORKPLACE: ABC WORLD NEWS SUNDAY NIGHT
- AND SURE ENOUGH IT MADE IT ON: LET YOUR EMPLOYER SHOW YOU THE WAY

#############################
WHOOOPS, I thought I sent this to the list on Friday, then saw this morning
that it was stuck in the administrative folder - my bad.  I forgot to punch
in the approval code. Apologies. - diane

- MARRIAGE EDUCATION IN THE WORKPLACE: ABC WORLD NEWS SUNDAY NIGHT

Diane,
This Sunday Sept 16, ABC World News is set to air a piece on trends in the
workplace.  As part of the piece they filmed a workshop I present in Orlando
to businesses called "Relationships: Roles, Rumors & Real Life". They filmed
a Lunch & Learn segment at Insurance Office Of America (IOA).
In addition they interviewed IOA's CEO to get his take on WHY and how he's
created a family-friendly workplace that includes offering such programs and
also interviewed an employee who attended the seminar on why it's beneficial
to get relationship education at work. ABC World News airs approximately
6pm, check local listings.
Sheryl Kurland
<http://www.everlastingmatrimony.com/>

#######################
- AND SURE ENOUGH IT MADE IT ON: LET YOUR EMPLOYER SHOW YOU THE WAY

What a wonderful world, not only do we have the transcript (below) but you
can watch the segment. VISIT:
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3610440&amp;page=1
CLICK on the play symbol on the smaller photo of the couple in the TOP RIGHT
corner.  You have to watch a very brief commercial, but then can see the
full segment.   Go Sheryl!! - diane

Need Relationship Help? Let Your Employer Show You the Way
Businesses Offer Ways for Employees to Balance Work and Family
By FELICIA BIBERICA and JEFFREY KOFMAN

Sept. 16, 2007 ‹

It was not your typical boardroom meeting at the Insurance Office of America
headquarters outside of Orlando, Fla.

Armed with a large jar of gumballs, relationship trainer Sheryl Kurland took
the lunch hour to teach employees how to nurture a healthy relationship at
home. "In this emotional bank account that you're building day after day,"
she said, pouring in more gumballs, "these are the nice things that your
spouse or significant other is doing for you."

According to Kurland, the key is building up an emotional reserve so there
is ample cushion to bear the tough times with your partner.

With longer hours, high stress, and technology that keeps workers tethered
to the office 24/7, more companies recognize the importance of a healthy
balance between work and family. The focus: personal well-being, with perks,
like visiting chaplains and meditation groups.

Fast food company Chick-Fil-A offers marital counseling to its employees at
a rural retreat in Georgia. Corporate trainer Ty Yokum and his wife Jeanette
have participated in two retreats over the years. The company paid for food,
lodging and the conference fee.

"You take your car in for a tuneup at least once a year," said Jeanette
Yokum. "You have to do that with your marriage. And Chick-Fil-A just makes
it possible."

Workers at the Florida insurance company can workout at an onsite gym, get
discounted day care, and now, tips for a healthy relationship.

It's the kind of help that employee Dildrinell Pratts could use. With her
husband's long hours, she sometimes feels overwhelmed before the workday
begins. "I carry all the burden of the kids, going to pick them up at
school," said Pratts. "Going to the groceries, do the bills. So, when I sit
at my desk, I feel I'm so tired, I'm so stressed out."

For CEO John Ritenour, workshops like the one Kurland runs are a logical
investment. "If our people are spending most of their time crying and
worried about their marriage, or worried about their relationship at home,
or what's going on in their personal life, they're not productive here," he
said.

"So, if I can have them walk through the door relatively happy, smiling,
influencing the people around them, they're gonna be more productive."

Pratts says she got a lot out of that lunch time workshop, and she hopes to
see more of them. In the meantime, she is grateful for her company's focus
on family.

"They're more caring about what you're going through, and what you've been
through," she said. "So, you don't find that out there too often."

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

**************************
Send submissions and comments for the listserv to: diane at smartmarriages.com

PLEASE include your email address or url as part of your signature.

Please also understand that with thousands of subscribers, not all comments
can be shared. Also realize that opinions expressed are not necessarily
shared by members of the Coalition.

use the form at: http://www.smartmarriages.com. Click Newslist - in the left
column under the puzzle piece.

To read past posts to the listserv, visit the Archive at:

12th Annual Smart Marriages® Conference, Hilton San Francisco Hotel,
July 2 - 5, 2008
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 30-July 2
Post-Conference Training Institutes July 6

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at