Encouraging Signs: Brooks Brothers/ Media Surges/ Refugees / Military Marriages/ PreNups - 1/23/07

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Tue Jan 23 21:54:10 EST 2007

- AN ENCOURAGING SIGN OF THE TIMES....
- DOHERTY'S AMAZING "BIRTHDAY PRESSURE" MEDIA ROLL
- MORE GOOD NEWS: 7 STAGES OF MARRIAGE MEDIA BLITZ
- MARRIAGE MENTORING: 12 CONVERSATIONS FOR REFUGEES
- LESSONS FROM THE FRONT OPENING KEYNOTE DENVER SMART MARRIAGES
- NEW STUDY PROMOTES PRENUPTIAL (PRENUP) AGREEMENTS FOR SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGES

#######################
- AN ENCOURAGING SIGN OF THE TIMES....

> Hi Diane,
> I just looked through the February 2007 Brooks Brothers catalog.  The couple
> on the cover is posed in a way where it is very easy to see wedding bands.
> When I looked through the whole catalog all the models are clearly wearing
> wedding bands in almost every picture.  I've never noticed wedding bands so
> prominently!
> Alicia Hennie

I love it.  Send me your sign of the times...

I was also encouraged this week by two reporters that called to start
scoping out what's coming up for the Denver conference and both observed
that there seems to be a big uptick in interest in marriage these days.
Asked me "What's going on?" Tah dah. - diane

###########################
- DOHERTY'S AMAZING "BIRTHDAY PRESSURE" MEDIA ROLL
I think this is also encouraging - a sign of citizen activists, community
involvement.  If we come up with the right trigger, we get a huge bang. Just
keep thinking creatively.....what really bugs couples?
This quiz is fun.  I love the categories!   Check it out.
- diane

> Diane,
> After just five days we have community "birthday pressure" ratings (by state)
> from 47 of 50 states on our site.  We have an individual pressure quiz and
> also a community pressure quiz.  We will be able to break it down by town and
> zip code when we get enough responses.  And, I am still in full bore media
> mode.  CBS This Morning today, Fox national last night followed by Radio New
> Zealand.  22,000 web hits yesterday!

> Bill Doherty
> http://www.birthdayswithoutpressure.org

###########################
- MORE GOOD NEWS: 7 STAGES OF MARRIAGE MEDIA BLITZ

Rita DeMaria is doing a radio and tv tour in over 30 cities across the
country, Jan 24 & 25 and Feb 9 for her new book, "Seven Stages of Marriage".
More than 40 experts were interviewed for the book including many  members
of the Coalition. Listen to and watch for Rita in your home town and chime
in on the discussion boards and call-in opportunities. And check out the
"Seven Stages" article in Feb's Reader's Digest - not that's a surge!  Buy
the book now in bookstores everywhere and get it signed in Denver!

> The 7 Stages of Marriage
> Rita DeMaria, PhD
> Give couples a roadmap to help them understand the journey, anticipate the
> stages, and succeed at the mission with commitment and passion intact. Use
> with any marriage ed program.

> the Federal Office of Refugee Resettlement.  My "12 Conversations" marriage
> mentoring program has been adopted in a 5-year grant to provide technical
> assistance and programming for agencies providing marriage education / support
> services to refugee / immigrant communities. I have developed a special
> Immigrant Edition for this population.

> Dr. Ed Gray. LMFT
> www.12Conversations.com <http://www.12Conversations.com>
> Harding University Graduate School of Religion - Professor of Counseling

Wow, more encouraging news.  You can train in the "12 Conversations" program
in one of the MINI-TOOB (that's teach out of the box) sessions at the Denver
conference.  You can not get better evaluations than Dr Gray got last year
in Atlanta. Check it out.

###############################
- LESSONS FROM THE FRONT OPENING KEYNOTE DENVER SMART MARRIAGES

> Dear Diane,
> Thanks for the recent message about military couples and the stress that
> military life (deployment, in particular) has on their marriages. Our
> organization recently received one of the Healthy Marriage Demonstration
> Grants from ACF and as part of our project, we will be providing healthy
> marriage education to soldiers and their wives, particularly those that are
> returning from deployment, in hope that we can enhance their relationship upon
> reunification. As a marriage and family therapist as well as a military
> spouse, I am thrilled to see that you will be addressing this important area
> in the Smartmarriages Conference this year. I plan to attend and look forward
> to participating in the ³Lessons from the Front² session.
> Jennifer Rubini, LPC, LMFT
> Vienna, VA

I knew many of you would be curious, so I checked with Jennifer to ask what
program they're using with the returning soldiers:

> we developed our own curriculum called Fit Relationships®. We tailor it to
> meet the needs of whichever population we are serving. Also, at least one of
> the male/female co-facilitators will be retired military, have prior military
> service, or be a military spouse.

Also, as part of their grant they are also:

> providing healthy marriage education for 500, low-income, married couples with
> children in Washington DC.. . . [they will]  employ a strengths-based approach
> to help spouses appreciate and strengthen the positive traits in each other
> and develop strong social networks to assist in strengthening their marriage.
> Throughout the one-year program, participants will take part in 30 hours of
> healthy marriage education, two ³booster² sessions of supplemental training on
> topics of interest, two family social events, one marriage coaching session
> per couple, and case management services by a Family Coordinator/Social
> Worker. The following outcomes are anticipated: an increased number of
> healthy, satisfying marriages in low-income groups and dissemination of best
> practices.

############################
- NEW STUDY PROMOTES PRENUPTIAL (PRENUP) AGREEMENTS FOR SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGES
Harvard study promotes mandatory prenups.

Desert Hot Springs, CA (PRWeb) January 23, 2007 -- A recent study by Heather
Mahar of the Harvard Law School studied the misconception that a prenup
increases the likelihood of divorce, and concluded that a solid prenuptial
agreement is likely to improve the chances of a successful marriage.

the least compelling reason for average American couples to consider
prenuptial agreements, since most couples do not enter marriages with
significant assets.

With 50% of marriages ending in divorce, a good prenuptial agreement can
improve the chance of a successful marriage. A prenup should not only
protect the assets, it should protect the marriage.

Mahar argues that the division of assets is "the least compelling reason for
average American couples to consider prenuptial agreements, since most
couples do not enter marriages with significant assets." However, she finds
that "for couples who choose a traditional partnership, with one spouse
exiting the workforce to raise children, agreeing in advance about how to
divide assets earned during a marriage or potential future earnings can
protect the stay-at-home spouse against divorce laws, which have generally
eliminated long-term alimony."

The process of creating a prenup acts as form of premarital counseling,
making couples talk about what kind of marriage they want, and what legal
ramifications there will be if one spouse veers off course. Mahar recommends
mandatory prenuptial agreements, and using LawDepot.com's online prenup as a
couple can make the process easier.

For additional information on the news that is the subject of this release
(or for a sample, copy or demo), contact David Pettitt or visit
http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/prenup/.

**************************
Send submissions and comments for the listserv to: diane at smartmarriages.com

PLEASE include your email address or url as part of your signature.

Please also understand that with thousands on the list, not all comments can
be shared. Also realize that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared
by members of the Coalition.

use the form at: http://www.smartmarriages.com. Click Newslist - in the
column under the puzzle piece.

To read past posts to the newsletter, visit the Archive at:
http://archives.his.com/smartmarriages/

11th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Denver Adam's Mark Hotel,
June 28-July 1, 2007
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 26-28

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at

cmfce at smartmarriages.com