1% Call Feb 6/ 27 year itch / Unmarried fathers outcomes/ Unmarried Men - 1/18/07

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Thu Jan 18 14:03:49 EST 2007

- THAT 1% SOLUTION!
- THE 27 YEAR ITCH
- OUTCOMES FOR UNMARRIED FATHERS
- BLOG HER: WHAT ABOUT THE MEN?

###########################
- THAT 1% SOLUTION!

Following the announcement of the Utah success in getting 1% of their state
TANF funds dedicated to marriage strengthening, many of you have asked about
help in doing this in your state.  If you remember, Melanie Reese of the
Utah Healthy Marriage Initiative credited Chris Gersten and his FAMLI
organization:

>> I also credit participation with Chris Gersten and the FAMLI network.  I
>> found it helpful to participate in the conference calls and learn what other
>> states were doing.  FAMLI is a terrific resource for local coalitions whether
>> already organized or just getting started.
>> http://lists101.his.com/pipermail/smartmarriages/2007-January/003250.html

The good news is that FAMLI has scheduled a new round of calls beginning on
Feb 6.  Here is the announcement:
> FAMLI is hosting a conference call for all new FAMLI activists.  One percent
> of all state TANF funds for marriage would amount to $400,000,000 nationwide
> per year.  If you want to be part of the effort to get your state to allocate
> 1% of their TANF funds for healthy marriage, sign up for the call for new
> members to be held February 6 at 1PM EST.  To get the conference call
> number and access code, you need to go to www.famli.us <http://www.famli.us>
> and sign up NOW. - Chris Gersten

I also encourage you to order the download of Chris's very highly rated 2
hour workshop from the Atlanta Smart Marriages Conference. It gives you a
complete introduction, how-to overview of the 1% Solution campaign:

> You can download the session in minutes and listen on your computer or iPod -
> only $9.95.  Or, order the CD and share it with your state activists.
>
>> #756-516 - order at 800-241-7785 or at http://www.iplaybacksmartmarriages.com
>> Getting State Money: The 1% Solution
>> Chris Gersten, Krista Sisterhen, Mary Myrick
>> Learn how to access state marriage money - how to open doors and build
>> relationships with state and federal elected and appointed officials.

########################

- THE 27 YEAR ITCH
Rise in Divorce Rates among those 50 years of age or older
570 NEWS (Canada)
January 18, 2007

Are people suffering from the 27 year itch?  In the latest issue of Mcleans
that hits the news stands today: a story that shows divorce rates are on the
rise among people 50 years of age or older.

According to the latest statistics, the overall divorce rate is around 38
percent.  That's an 11% decrease since 1993. But while every other age group
reports declines, the divorce rate shot up 34 percent among those 50-54
years old, and a whopping 48% between people 55-59 years old.

Experts point to the empty nest syndrome.  As kids seem to be hanging around
the house longer and longer to pursue their education, the overall marriage
age is on the climb.  Family law practitioners asked by Mcleans say that
most in their golden years are waiting for their kids to leave before
calling it quits, therefore the rise in the age.

And, here's another version of same story:

> Divorce? At 50? Introducing the 27-year itch - Maclean's
>
>     Couples used to stick it out. Not anymore. Enough is enough. In the issue
>     of Maclean's hitting newsstands starting today.
>
>     TORONTO, Jan. 18 /CNW/ - In Canada, the only age group that is seeing a
> rise in divorce is people over 50. This isn't to say a "Happy Divorce,
> Grandma!" greeting card is imminent. But, as Maclean's senior writer Anne
> Kingston reports, even though "the overall divorce rate, which hovers at
> 38 per cent, declined 11 per cent between 1993 and 2003, the latest year for
> which statistics are available, it rose 34 per cent for those 50 to 54,
> 47.8 per cent for those 55 to 59, 31.7 per cent for those 60 to 64, and
> 9.2 per cent for those 65 and older." Traditionally low rates of divorce among
> those over age 50 give any increases exaggerated buoyancy. It remains a
> statistical verity that the longer a couple stays together, the greater the
> odds that they will. But even in the absolute terms of "incidence of divorce
> per 1,000 population," a drift to older divorce is evident for both men and
> women aged 50 to 65.
>     Marital trends such as the tendency to wed later and to delay
> child-raising figure in the grey-divorce phenomenon. What lawyers call the
> typical age-of-divorce "bell curve" - low in the 20s, rising in the 30s,
> peaking in the 40s then dropping - is being pushed back. The "empty-nest
> syndrome," a common point of marital breakdown, writes Kingston, is occurring
> at a later age. Family law practitioners used to tell the joke about an
> 85-year-old couple explaining their decision to divorce with, "We were waiting
> for the children to die." Now that kids hang around for decades, the punchline
> is: "We were waiting for the children to leave."
>
>     About Maclean's:
>
>     Maclean's is Canada's only national weekly current affairs magazine.
> Maclean's enlightens, engages and entertains 2.9 million readers with strong
> investigative reporting and exclusive stories from leading journalists in the
> fields of international affairs, social issues, national politics, business
> and culture.

############################
- OUTCOMES FOR UNMARRIED FATHERS
January 17, 2007
The Heritage Foundation

The Rest of the Story: Outcomes for Unmarried Fathers

Considerable attention has been given to the consequences of unwed
childbearing for mothers, but how does it affect unmarried fathers? A
1998 study, published in American Sociological Review, examined outcomes
associated with out-of-wedlock fatherhood.

The study found that unwed fatherhood is associated with delayed
marriage and higher rates of cohabitation. Men who had a child outside
of marriage were a third less likely to marry than peers who were not
fathers. In addition, men who became fathers outside of marriage were
twice as likely to cohabit as comparable men who were not fathers.

Read this finding and thousands of others at familyfacts.org.
<http://familyfacts.org>

#######################
- BLOG HER: WHAT ABOUT THE MEN?

This is a clip from discussion of the NY Times article on women living
"without husbands".  BlogHer is identified as "where the women bloggers are"

**************************
Send submissions and comments for the listserv to: diane at smartmarriages.com

PLEASE include your email address or url as part of your signature.

Please also understand that with thousands on the list, not all comments can
be shared. Also realize that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared
by members of the Coalition.

use the form at: http://www.smartmarriages.com. Click Newslist - in the
column under the puzzle piece.

To read past posts to the newsletter, visit the Archive at:
http://archives.his.com/smartmarriages/

11th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Denver Adam's Mark Hotel,
June 28-July 1, 2007
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 26-28

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at

cmfce at smartmarriages.com