Trainings / Woman's Day Poll/ Government Subsidizes Cohabitation - 1/02/07

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Tue Jan 2 17:04:04 EST 2007

- HOT MONOGAMY TRAINING IN ATLANTA, JAN 13-14
- TRAIN WITH OR BE TREATED BY STEVEN STOSNY, JAN 26-28
- YOU MAY BE ASKED ABOUT THESE RESULTS
- GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZES COHABITATION

Apologies for the sudden rush of emails.  The list has been 'broken'
for days.  It's still 'broken' but I've figured out a temporary
pathway around the broken spot.  What a way to start the New Year....
- diane

#########################
- HOT MONOGAMY TRAINING IN ATLANTA, JAN 13-14
Train with Pat Love and Kathleen McFadden and be certified to teach
the HOT MONOGAMY program. 9-4 each day. $300 per person. 770-806-9600 or
kmalcolm at yahoo.com for registration or details.

Or, take the MINI/TOOB (Teach Out of the Box) workshop at the June 2007
Denver Smart Marriages conference and teach the course as a stand-alone
workshop, seminar, lecture, retreat--or as an adjunct to any existing
marriage ed program.

> Hot Monogamy - Mini/Toob training
> Pat Love, EdD, Kathleen McFadden, CLE
> The death of passion often heralds the end of a marriage. Proven
> techniques can help couples restore this vital energy. Pragmatic
> strategies presented with humor and clinical savvy.

###########################

- TRAIN WITH OR BE TREATED BY STEVEN STOSNY

Stosny BOOTCAMP: Gaithersburg, MD (near Washington, DC) Jan 26-28, a
weekend Treatment of Resentment, Anger, or Emotional Abuse developed
to meet the overwhelming requests for the model as demonstrated on Oprah.
This group bootcamp version includes learning how to replace
resentment, anger, and jealousy with COMPASSIONATE NEGOTIATION plus
relapse prevention.

$649 per single person/$799 per couple (includes book, handouts, audio tape,
coffee, and snacks). Courtyard Marriott, Gaithersburg - $79 s/d For
Info or to register: 301-528-7067 or http://www.compassionpower.com/

Refer individuals or couples with problems of resentment, anger or emotional
abuse, OR, attend to learn how to use this approach in any setting.

You'll also have several opportunities to TRAIN with Steven Stosny at the
Denver Smart Marriages Conference including a MINI training on his Power
Love teach-out-of-box program and a two-day post-conference Institute on his
Boot Camp program. http://www.smartmarriages.com/institutes.html

For a preview of his approach, order the highly rated Stosny
presentations from the 2006 Atlanta Conference on CD or as MP3
downloads at 800-241-7785 or at http://www.iplaybacksmartmarriages.com

> 756-405
> You Don?t Have to Take it Anymore
> Steven Stosny, PhD
> Learn how to use this approach in marriage ed settings to help
> overcome entrenched resentment, anger, verbal and emotional abuse
> BEFORE you try to teach communication skills.

> 756-702
> Power Love
> Steven Stosny, PhD
> Women maintain and nurture relationships, but men decide if, and
> when, they?ll improve. In this male-friendly program, learn to
> engage men and teach scientifically-validated behaviors to improve
> marriage.

##############################

- YOU MAY BE ASKED ABOUT THESE RESULTS

Just thinking a journalist might ask you.  Or, maybe you want to use
these results to call a journalist and address how we can turn these
women around! - diane

Woman's Day/AOL Poll Reveals: Majority of Married Women Would
Reconsider Their Spouses: 36% Would Not Marry Their Husbands If They
Could Re-Do Their 'I Do' & Another 20% Are Not Sure
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/01-02-2007/0004498260&EDATE

###############################
- GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZES COHABITATION
Column #1,322
Dec. 30, 2006
by Michael J. McManus

Why has the marriage rate fallen by 50 percent since 1970?

Many couples cohabit rather than marry.  The number of cohabiting couples
has soared 12-fold from 430,000 in 1960 to 5.2 million in 2005.  About half
of those who live together, never do marry.  The result is that the
percentage of never-married Americans aged 30-44 has tripled.  That pushes
down the marriage rate.

However, did you know that the government is subsidizing cohabitation for
low income people, which fuels its growth?  A rule of economics is that
whatever is subsidized, will grow.

For example, if a man in California working full time at $7 an hour cohabits
with a woman working half-time at the same pay, their combined monthly
income is $1,820.  However, if she has two children the government
supplements her income by $196 a month in an Earned Income Tax Credit
(EITC).  She also receives $440 a month in welfare, $114 in food stamps and
a big $662 monthly in housing subsidy.  Including other subsidies, her
monthly income is $2,106, yet she pays no taxes.  In fact, her EITC comes
from the IRS.

By contrast, her live-in boy friend earns $1,213 a month, receives no
subsidies, pays $157 a month in taxes and, as the father of her children,
pays $200 in child support. That reduces his income to $857; however
combined with her income and other subsidies, the couple has an income of
$2,963 a month if they are cohabiting, and don't report it to the IRS.

What if they marry?  First, they lose her $440 welfare check and their food
stamp allotment is cut from $114 to $68 a month. The housing subsidy drops
from $662 to $445, and  the EITC falls    Why?

The government assumes her need is less since she has access to his earned
income.

However, if they are living together, she already has access to that income.
The bottom line is that if the cohabiting couple marries, even though he no
longer pays child support, their combined income will drop from $2,963 a
month to $2,552.  Their annual income falls from or $35,556 a year to
$30,624.

Thus, government is paying this couple $5,000 a year NOT to marry.

This is perverse public policy that ought to be reversed. Marriage is not
only good for individuals, but for society as a whole.  People who are
married live longer than those who are single (ten years for men), are twice
as likely to say they are very happy, and will have three to four times as
much wealth at retirement as the divorced, widowed or never married.

Children of never-married parents are three times as likely to be expelled
from school or to become pregnant as teenagers as those from married
parents, five times as apt to live in poverty and are more likely to have
emotional problems and become delinquent.

Therefore, it is marriage not cohabitation that should be subsidized.

The Bush Administration and Congress have recognized this need to change the
law. Before 2001, middle class couples who married saw their taxes jump. To
their credit, the Bush Administration proposed and Congress passed tax
reform that is slowly eliminating that marriage penalty, phasing it out by
2008.  Its cost was $63 billion, from 2002-2011.  Congress also passed a
Bush proposal to strengthen marriage with $100 million a year of grants for
marriage education.

I think these are Bush's most important domestic achievements.

However, the marriage penalty persists for low income people due to
subsidies of income and for housing, food, day care, etc. given to a single
mother and her children.  She can live with a man, get the benefit of his
income, without relinquishing her subsidies. So millions have cohabited and
not reported it to the IRS, rather than marry.

This is not in the interest of the parents or the children, who are both
better off if they parents marry.  "The current system serves no one's
interests and actively undermines family formation and stability.  The
marriage penalty certainly undermines government's efforts to strengthen the
institution," states a new paper by the Institute for American Values by
David Blankenhorn and Alex Roberts.

It argues that there are too many programs to eradicate the marriage penalty
in a piecemeal fashion.  It proposes, "Give low-income couples a refundable
tax credit for the exact amount of their marriage penalty."

The cost is unknown but is certainly much less than $63 billion to eliminate
the marriage penalty for the vastly larger middle class.

It deserves support from Bush and the Democratic Congress.

Copyright © 2006 Michael J. McManus

the column under the puzzle piece.

approaches.  Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by members
of the Coalition.

11th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Denver Adam's Mark Hotel,
June 28-July 1, 2007
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 26-28

List your program in the Directory of Classes at http://www.smartmarriages.com

cmfce at smartmarriages.com

FAIR USE NOTICE: This e-newsletter/site contains copyrighted material
the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the
copyright owner. We make such material available in our efforts to
advance understanding of marriage, family, couples, divorce,
legislation, family breakdown, etc. We understand this constitutes a
'fair use' of such material as provided for in section 107 of the US
Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for
research and educational purposes. For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use
copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.