Census Bureau on Valentine's Day - 2/07

Smartmarriages smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Fri Feb 9 13:28:30 EST 2007

You might be able to use this in your Marriage Week promos. - diane

Diane,
Have you seen the Valentine's Day press release from the Census Bureau?
Maybe Sam Roberts (NY Times article on 51% of women are "living without
husbands) wants to recant. - B

> 57% and 60%
> The percentages of American women and men, respectively, who are 18 or
> older and currently married (includes those who are separated). <
> http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam/cps2005.html>

Valentine's Day 2007: Feb. 14

There are many opinions as to who was the original Valentine, with the most
popular theory that it was a clergyman who was executed for secretly
marrying couples in ancient Rome. In any event, in 496 A.D., Pope Gelasius
set aside Feb. 14 to honor St. Valentine. Through the centuries, the
Christian holiday became a time to exchange love messages and St. Valentine
became the patron saint of lovers. In the 1840s, Esther Howland, a native
of Massachusetts, is given credit for sending the first valentine cards.
The spirit of love continues as valentines are sent with sentimental verses
and children exchange valentine cards at school.

                                  Be Mine

57% and 60%
The percentages of American women and men, respectively, who are 18 or
older and currently married (includes those who are separated). <
http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam/cps2005.html>

2.2 million
The number of marriages that take place in the United States annually. That
breaks down to more than 6,000 a day. <
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/nvsr/54/54-20.htm>

25.3 and 27.1
The estimated U.S. median ages at first marriage for women and men,
respectively, in 2005. The age for women rose 4.2 years in the last three
decades. The age for men at first marriage is up
3.6 years. <http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam.html>

72%
Percentage of men and women ages 30 to 34 in 2005 who had been married at
some point in their lives – either currently or formerly. <
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/families_household
s/006840.html

4.9 million
Number of opposite-sex cohabitating couples who maintained households in
2005. These couples comprised 4.3 percent of all households.
<http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam/cps2005.html>

                              Candy is Dandy

1,241
Number of locations producing chocolate and cocoa products in 2004. These
establishments employed 43,322 people. California led the nation in the
number of such establishments with 136, followed by Pennsylvania with 122.
<http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html>

515
Number of locations that produced nonchocolate confectionary products in
2004. These establishments employed 22,234 people. <
http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html>

$13.9 billion
Total value of shipments in 2004 for firms producing chocolate and cocoa
products. Nonchocolate confectionery product manufacturing, meanwhile, was
a $5.7 billion industry. <http://www.census.gov/mcd/asm-as1.html>

3,467
Number of confectionery and nut stores in the United States in 2004; they
are among the best sources of sweets for Valentine's Day. <
http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html>

25.7 pounds
Per capita consumption of candy by Americans in 2005. <
http://www.census.gov/cir/www/311/ma311d.html>

                                  Flowers

$397 million
The combined wholesale value of domestically produced cut flowers in 2005
for all flower-producing operations with $100,000 or more in sales. Among
states, California was the leading producer, alone accounting for about
three-quarters of this amount ($289 million). <http://www.nass.usda.gov>

$39 million
The combined wholesale value of domestically produced cut roses in 2005 for
all operations with $100,000 or more in sales. Among all types of cut
flowers, roses were third in receipts ($39 million) to lilies ($76.9
million) and tulips ($39.1 million). <http://www.nass.usda.gov>

21,667
The number of florists nationwide in 2004. These businesses employed
109,915 people. <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html>

                                  Jewelry

28,772
Number of jewelry stores in the United States in 2004. Jewelry stores offer
engagement, wedding and other rings to lovers of all ages. In February
2006, these stores sold $2.6 billion worth of merchandise. (This figure has
not been adjusted for seasonal variation, holiday or trading day
differences or price changes.) <
http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html> <
http://www.census.gov/mrts/www/mrts.html>

The merchandise at these locations could well have been produced at one of
the nation’s 1,864 jewelry manufacturing establishments. The manufacture
of
jewelry and silverware was a $9 billion industry in 2004. <
http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/cbptotal.html>
<http://www.census.gov/mcd/asm-as1.html>

                             Looking for Love

119
Number of single men (i.e., never married, widowed or divorced) who are in
their 20s for every 100 single women of the same ages. <
http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam/cps2005.html>

34
Number of single men (i.e., never married, widowed or divorced) age 65 or
older for every
100 single women of the same ages. <
http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam/cps2005.html>

904
The number of dating service establishments nationwide as of 2002. These
establishments, which include Internet dating services, employed nearly
4,300 people and pulled in $489 million in revenues. <
http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/guide/SUBSUMM.HTM>

Editors  note: The preceding data were collected from a variety of
sources and  may  be  subject  to  sampling variability and other sources of
error. Questions  or  comments  should  be  directed to the Census
Bureaus Public Information  Office:  telephone:  (301)  763-3030;  fax:
(301) 457-3670; or e-mail: <pio at census.gov>.

**************************
Send submissions and comments for the listserv to: diane at smartmarriages.com

PLEASE include your email address or url as part of your signature.

Please also understand that with thousands on the list, not all comments can
be shared. Also realize that opinions expressed are not necessarily shared
by members of the Coalition.

use the form at: http://www.smartmarriages.com. Click Newslist - in the
column under the puzzle piece.

To read past posts to the newsletter, visit the Archive at:
http://archives.his.com/smartmarriages/

11th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Denver Adam's Mark Hotel,
June 28-July 1, 2007
Pre-Conference Training Institutes June 26-28

List your program and resources on the Directory of Classes at

cmfce at smartmarriages.com