Meaning/Grant Coaching/Domestic violence/California - 5/05

smartmarriages at lists101.his.com smartmarriages at lists101.his.com
Mon May 2 17:41:40 EDT 2005

- DOHERTY CANCELLED ON CNN ANDERSON COOPER TONIGHT
- COMMENTS ON COONTZ
- DUE TO DEMAND, ADDITIONAL GRANT-TRAINING CALLS HAVE BEEN ADDED:
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RELATIONSHIP ENHANCEMENT CALL: RECORDING
- MAY 11 INVITATION: CALLING ALL CALIFORNIA MARRIAGE FOLKS

#######################

- DOHERTY CANCELLED ON CNN ANDERSON COOPER TONIGHT
But, there are sure to be lots of articles in tomorrow's papers...lots of
interviews been taking place all day around this Runaway Bride story. Please
send me any in which you are featured.  - diane

########################
- COMMENTS ON COONTZ

> Diane,
> Professor Coontz is a bright and articulate spokesperson for the changes
> that have challenged the institution of marriage over the past century. I
> often find myself disagreeing with her analyses and conclusions, but her
> arguments need to be taken seriously. But at the end of the Post article,
> she reveals the underlying attitude behind her arguments:
>
> "For better or worse, marriage has been displaced from its pivotal position
> in personal and social life, and will not regain it short of a Taliban-like
> counterrevolution."
>
> How do you (and we) like being explicitly compared to the repressive, brutal
> Afgan Taliban? This is the second time I have heard a member of the
> Contemporary Council on Families compare those who want to strengthen the
> contemporary institution of marriage for the 21st century as the Taliban.
> This comparison is both inaccurate and offensive. I like thinking of myself
> as a counter-revolutionary. But the comparison to the Taliban is
> unacceptable. I think we all need to challenge it.
> Alan J. Hawkins, Ph.D., CFLE
> Professor of Family Life
> Brigham Young University
> (801) 422-7088 (voice)
> hawkinsa at byu.edu

> Diane
> am assuming that her use of the word "love" in the context of the late 18th
> Century until present would be very accurate in what most have come to call
> "love" and that is emotional self-gratification pleasure that is aroused by
> another person.  If that is the case (and it certainly is the definition that
> has been used in our modern and post-modern thinking, actually making it so
> much easier to destroy marriage and/or any other relationship of value), then
> therein lies the problem - a false definition of Love.
>
> Love is not an emotion but a commitment, an act of the will!  It has some very
> good emotions attached to it along with some very tough or bad ones (i.e.,
> look at our idea of "crimes of passion", etc.) but neither of these defines
> it.  They simply enhance or discourage it and in either case both can be use
> ultimately to build the commitment that is truly what Love is!  If we would
> really get back to teaching this, we would see much healthier individuals that
> lead to much healthier relationships!
> Greg Williams, State Director
> Heritage of KY
> (O) 859.278.8109
> www.heritageservices.org

######################
- DUE TO DEMAND, ADDITIONAL GRANT-TRAINING CALLS HAVE BEEN ADDED:

$50,000 GRANTS NOW AVAILABLE to build the capacity of faith-based and
community organizations. Priority areas for the Targeted Capacity-Building
Program (Mini-Grants) include: at-risk youth, the homeless, healthy
marriages, and rural communities. Application DUE May 31, 2005.

REGISTER ONLINE NOW to participate in FREE TRAINING Conference Calls on the
Mini-Grant Program.

Due to registration demand, additional calls have been added:

Thursday May 5, 2005
Conference Call #1: Getting it Right: Compliance and Requirements.
3:00 p.m. EST, REGISTER NOW

Friday, May 6, 2005
Conference Call #2: Strategy for Capacity Building.
3:00 p.m. EST, REGISTER NOW

Monday, May 9, 2005
Conference Call #3: Building an Effective Grant Narrative.
3:00 p.m. EST, REGISTER NOW

Tuesday, May 10, 2005
Conference Call #4: Building a Grant Budget.
3:00 p.m. EST, REGISTER NOW

To register go to: http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/programs/ccf/

Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Power Point
presentations will be online before each call and audio and transcriptions
will be online following each call.

#######################
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RELATIONSHIP ENHANCEMENT CALL: RECORDING

Diane,
Thank you for announcing the bridge line call "Preventing Domestic Violence
Through Relationship Enhancement Training," Tuesday May 3, 9pm EST. Due to
increased interest in the issue of domestic violence, we've set up a way for
people that can't make the call to listen to it anytime, 24 hrs a day, from
May 4 through June 14.  All callers need to do is  call 1-646-519-5800, and
enter 7036#.  FREE except for callers standard long-distance charges.
Rob Scuka
Relationship Enhancement
www.nire.org

##########################
- MAY 11 INVITATION: CALLING ALL CALIFORNIA MARRIAGE FOLKS

All interested persons and/or organizations within California who are
working in the marriage education field and are interested in exploring the
possibility of participating in a state-wide coalition to bring healthy
marriage training and education to ALL segments of the state of California
(geographic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic, religious, secular,
non-religious, faith-based, community-based) are invited to this first
coalition task force meeting.

What? California Healthy Marriages Coalition Task Force Meeting
When? Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 10am to 4pm
Where? United Way of Silicon Valley offices
1922 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126
(650) 325-1358.
Located 2.5 miles from the San Jose airport. Transportation to the meeting
site is ON YOUR OWN. Taxi service from the airport is available.

Hosts: The Latino Coalition for Faith & Community Initiatives (LC)
Northern California Urban Development Corporation (NCUDC)
Orange County Marriage Resource Center (OCMRC)

For those who cannot attend on site, a teleconference phone line will be
available to call into to participate via phone line. Please RSVP to the
Latino Coalition office in Bakersfield, CA., at (661) 835-7938, BOTH to
reserve your space on the teleconference call AND to tell us that you¹re
coming to the meeting in San Jose. Again, please call us at: (661) 835-7938
to RSVP. The conference call-in number will be given to you at that time.

Cost: FREE! But, donations will be gladly accepted for the cost of the
conference room ($30 per hour) and the cost of refreshments and lunch. We
will ³pass the hat,² ³collect an offering² or whatever your particular
tradition is for making a freewill contribution to help cover the expenses
of this task force meeting. Total expenses will be around $300.00.

Agenda: Here are the topics that will be discussed:

- Overview of President Bush's (Federal)Healthy Marriage Inititiative
- 8 Fundable Activities under President Bush's Healthy Marriage Initiative
- "Who we are - what we do - and why we're here" - self-introduction of all
the participants
- Organizational Issues in Building State-wide Coalitions
- A Possible Vision for the California Healthy Marriages Coalition
- Two immediate potential funding opportunities
- Open discussion on strategy issues

For further information contact: Rev. Jim Ortiz, LC President at
jomfh at juno.com, or Dennis Stoica at Dennis at OCMarriage.org.  PLEASE INVITE
OTHERS IN YOUR NETWORK INTERESTED ORGANIZATIONS TO PARTICIPATE AS WELL.

Pastor Jim Ortiz, President
Latino Coalition for Faith &Community Initiatives
www.latinocoalition.org
Senior Pastor, My Friend's House AG
www.myfriendshouse.org
6525 S. Norwalk Bl., Whittier, CA 90606
Tel: 562/692.0953; Fx: 562/692.1983

Newsletter - right under the puzzle piece.

Please respect our copyright. If you wish to use any of our content send an
email and request permission.

indicate if your response is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE include
your email address in with your signature.

9th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Adam's Mark Dallas June 23 - 26, 2005
Pre and Post Conference Training Institutes June 21 - 29, 2005/75 hrs CEU
To DOWNLOAD a conference brochure:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/registration.info.html
For a complete list of training institutes, visit:
http://www.smartmarriages.com/institutes.html
Subscribe to the FREE e-newslist at http://www.smartmarriages.com

List your program in the Directory of Classes at
http://www.smartmarriages.com
Order conference audio & video tapes/CD/DVDs: 800-241-7785 or at
http://www.playbacknow.com/cmfce

5310 Belt Rd NW
Washington, DC 20015-1961
http://www.smartmarriages.com