Grant to IAV/ACF Web updates/Loss of Jobs/Divorces mum on Hill-5/04

Smart Marriages ® cmfce at smartmarriages.com
Wed May 19 23:00:39 EDT 2004

subject: Grant to IAV/ACF Web updates/Loss of Jobs/Divorces mum on Hill-5/04

from: Smart Marriages®

- HEALTHY MARRIAGE GRANT AWARDED TO THE INSTITUTE FOR AMERICAN VALUES
- UPDATES AT THE ACF HEALTHY MARRIAGE WEBSITE
- LOSS OF ONE'S JOB CALLED WORSE THAN DIVORCE
- DIVORCES MUM ON MARRIAGE

########################
- HEALHTY MARRIAGE GRANT AWARDED TO THE INSTITUTE FOR AMERICAN VALUES

>From the Federal Register
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Administration for Children and Families
Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation; Grant to Institute
for American Values

Award announcement

SUMMARY: Notice is hereby given that the Office of Planning, Research
and Evaluation will award grant funds without competition to the
Institute for American Values. This grant is being awarded for an
unsolicited proposal that conforms to the applicable program
objectives, is within the legislative authorities and proposes
activities that may be lawfully supported through grant mechanisms.

This application is of outstanding merit and will have significant
impact in focusing new public policy initiatives related to healthy
marriage and contribute to better scholarly and public understanding of
the issues, particularly related to the benefits of marriage for
African Americans. The systematic review of academic findings published
since 1990 will include studies with substantial rigor in order to
address the existing inconclusive and often contradictory evidence
presented in the current social science literature regarding the
benefits of marriage for African Americans. The proposal presents a
unique approach and includes a research team comprised of nationally
recognized experts who will draw on the experience and knowledge of
other nationally recognized experts in identifying the universe of
scholarly publications to be considered and providing recommendations
regarding variables to be considered and approaches for analysis.

    The Institute for American Values is a nonpartisan organization
devoted to contributing intellectually to the renewal of marriage and
family life and the sources of competence, character, and citizenship.

    The grant will support a 16-month project at a cost of $48,852 in
federal support. The project is also being supported through non-
federal funding sources.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: K.A. Jagannathan, Administration for
Children and Families, Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation, 370
L'Enfant Promenade, SW., Washington, DC 20447, Phone: 202-205-4829.

    Dated: May 13, 2004.
Naomi Goldstein,
Acting Director, Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation.

####################

- UPDATES AT THE ACF HEALTHY MARRIAGE WEBSITE

Those of you trying to organize Community Healthy Marriage Initiatives re
faced with lots of tough questions.  Remember that they're all answered on
the ACF website.  http://www.acf.hhs.gov/healthymarriage/index.html  It's
updated regularly.  Here are examples of what's currently posted:

 Will same-sex couples be eligible for healthy marriage initiative services?

What makes you think low income couples will take advantage of healthy
marriage initiative services?

Are you diverting money from the child support system to fund healthy
marriage activities?

Does the healthy marriage program risk pushing women into unhealthy
marriages?

Will anyone be required to get healthy marriage services?

 What does recent research show about healthy marriages?

###################
- LOSS OF ONE'S JOB CALLED WORSE THAN DIVORCE
Globe and Mail
By Douglas McArthur
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Losing your job causes more long-term damage than divorce or widowhood,
according to an international team that spent 15 years studying the impact
of unemployment on personal happiness.

The researchers found that people who lose their job never return to the
same levels of well-being they had enjoyed when previously employed -- even
if they subsequently rejoin the work force, according to Dr. Yannis
Georgellis of Britain's Brunel University. Also involved in the project,
which involved more than 24,000 out-of-work individuals, were researchers
from France, the United States and the Gallup Organization.

Loss of a job, even briefly, scars a person for life, says Dr. Georgellis.
The findings contradict the accepted view that unemployment has no long-term
ill effects for workers. The study also suggests that workers who lose their
jobs may be less motivated to find work in the future -- or worse, might
drop out of the job market altogether.
__________
Or, what they don't add, might end up divorced. The two traumas - loss of a
job and divorce - often go hand in hand as was pointed out in the NY Times
article of Sun, May 2 on Roanoke, Virginia "An All-American Town, A Sky-High
Divorce Rate". It called the town, "splitsville east" and said it was
because of the closing of factories - one in 5 adults are divorced or
separated compared to the national avg of 1 in 10.    Although communication
skills help in dealing with any trauma, we need some sessions at the
conference focused on helping couples manage unemployment and job loss. -
diane

###########################
- DIVORCES MUM ON MARRIAGE
The Hill, The Newspaper for and About the U.S. Congress
By Alexander Bolton

Senate Republicans have held an unusual series of hearings on the issue of
marriage in recent weeks, putting a group of divorced lawmakers in their own
caucus in an awkward position.

While Republican committee and subcommittee chairmen have gone public with
their quest to help Americans enjoy healthier marriages, divorced
Republicans are ‹ by and large ‹ refusing to discuss their personal
experiences with the institution of marriage.

Six senior Republican lawmakers are divorced and remarried: Assistant Senate
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), Sen. John Warner (Va.), Sen. Kit Bond
(Mo.), Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell (Colo.), Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison
(Texas) and Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

Two Republican senators, Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Susan Collins (Maine),
are single.

McCain, who divorced his wife of close to 15 years in 1980, is chairman of
the Commerce Committee, which last week held a subcommittee hearing on the
impact of marriage and divorce on children. McCain remarried a year after
his divorce to his current wife of 25 years. Hutchison is also a member of
the commerce panel.

The week before, the Finance Committee¹s Subcommittee on Social Security and
Family Policy held a hearing on ³The Benefits of Healthy Marriage.²

It was the first hearing that Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) held as the
chairman of the subcommittee. The hearing was unusual because the
subcommittee rarely meets, as the full committee handles almost all finance
business.

The Judiciary Committee was scheduled to hold a full committee hearing
yesterday on the issue of marriage, but it was postponed. It would have
followed three Judiciary subcommittee hearings that have explored the
subject.

In a memo to Republican Senators dated April 22, Santorum, the chairman of
the Senate GOP Conference, explained the purpose of the ³full-court push² on
marriage was to ³educate the public on the importance of marriage.²

Two divorcés, Bond and Warner, sit on the Children and Families Subcommittee
of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which held a hearing
during the last week in April on ³Healthy Marriage: What it is and why
should we promote it?²

Barbara Dafoe Whitehead, co-director of the National Marriage Project at
Rutgers University, told lawmakers on the subcommittee that ³married people
are better off than those who are not married in a number of ways. On
average, they are happier, healthier, wealthier, enjoy longer lives and
report greater sexual satisfaction than single, divorced or cohabitating
individuals.²

Dafoe Whitehead added that ³married people are less likely to take moral or
mortal risks.²

Wade Horn, the assistant secretary for children and families at the
Department of Health and Human Services, told lawmakers that healthy
marriages ³are the best environment for rearing healthy children² and that
³adults in healthy marriages are happier, healthier and accumulate more
wealth compared to those who are not.²

But the lawmakers on the subcommittee did not feel like sharing any insights
they may have gained from the hearing or their personal experiences with
marriage.

³I¹m not getting into all my personal life. Š All I can say is I got married
and I¹m the happiest man in town,² said Warner.

Bond declared: ³I¹m very happily married now² and referred additional
questions to his press secretary.

Other divorced Republicans were similarly shy about discussing the Senate
GOP focus on marriage and whether it might be perceived as hypocritical for
divorcés to extol the virtues of healthy marriages.

McConnell declined to respond to two efforts to engage him on the subject of
marriage and his personal experience.

Hutchison said, ³Marriage is a very important institution in our country,
and it¹s the foundation of our culture,² but would not respond to questions
of whether it would be incongruent for divorced politicians to tout the joys
and benefits of marriage.

But some lawmakers, including some Republicans, think that the recent focus
on marriage in the Senate is spurred by political considerations.

³I think there is real serious concern, but I can¹t help but think that its
been prompted along a little bit in the election year because it seems to
lend itself well to a lot of grenade lobbying from both sides for partisan
purposes,² said Campbell, a divorcé who has been married for 38 years.

Campbell said the new Senate GOP focus on marriage has not put him in an
awkward position.

³Let¹s face it,² said Campbell. ³Over half of Americans are divorced now. I
think there¹s some genuine concern over the family unit. In my case it was
no big deal because I didn¹t have kids. But when you get children, it¹s more
of a societal problem.²

At a recent press conference, Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.)
took a veiled shot at Republicans for ‹ as Democrats view it ‹ trying to
make a political issue out of marriage.

³I think there are those who would use and manipulate cynically the values
of this country for political gain and that¹s what¹s troubling to many of
us,² said Daschle.
³There are many single individuals who feel very, very comfortable being
single. I don¹t think that you should be ostracized for not being married ‹
(laughs) ‹ but that is what, apparently, some would prefer we do, is somehow
create a negative connotation to those who are not married today.²

When asked how politicians can best promote marriage, Daschle said, ³perhaps
married politicians by living good constructive married lives can promote it
in the best way without rhetoric.²

Shweta Govindarajan contributed to this report.

Newsletter - right under the puzzle piece.

indicate if your response is NOT to be shared with the list.  PLEASE include
your email address in with your signature.

8th Annual Smart Marriages Conference, Adam's Mark Dallas, TX July 8 - 11,
2004. Pre and Post Conference Training Institutes July 6 - 14, 2004
Subscribe to the free e-newslist at www.smartmarriages.com
List your program in the Directory of Classes at www.smartmarriages.com
Order conference audio and video tapes at 800-241-7785 or at playbacknow.com

cmfce at smartmarriages.com