The Challenge of Step family Life -a response - 5/28/99

owner-smartmarriages owner-smartmarriages
Fri May 28 16:19:13 EDT 1999

from: Smart Marriages

Dear CMFCE,
I thought this one was so powerful that I asked her if I could share it
with you.
Diane

Greetings Diane,
I am glad you feel my letter might be helpful enough to include on this
forum and I give you my permission to share this with the list, but
without my name, please.  My husband's position is also to give
permission to share it.  He says that if one woman or one man would be
helped from making a terrible decision, it would be worth it.  Fighting
for marriage and the family are that important to us now.
Blessings,
Anonymous
*********

Dear Dr. Doherty,

I read your essay which was posted on the smart marriages list, and while
I really enjoy writing, I am struggling with something more profound to
say then, Wow!

I seem to take more of an interest now in reading about the dynamics and
complications of step family relationships because I was too close to
being involved in one myself.  My husband and I were separated for two
years.  The second full year we filed for divorce, and when the court
system required us to make the deal final or start all over again, we
decided to give reconciliation one last try.  The reason, only because we
didn't want to subject our children to the step family life.

This picture of the future struggles, helped me to turn a corner in my
own therapy.   I had to decide whether or not to end a relationship, and
a potential new step family to consider reconciliation.   On the one
side, I had the moral choice; on the other my feelings.  Even though the
dating stage of the new relationship offered all the excitement of new
hope, it was obvious that the dynamics of a new and different male figure
for my children was never going to be rosy....ever.  When I most
struggled with the indecision of reconciliation or moving forward with a
new relationship, my therapist asked me this one question.  "When you
think about all the future major events in your children's life....their
graduations, their weddings, holidays, vacations etc.  On a scale of 1 to
10, 1 meaning not at all and 10 meaning more then anything else, how much
do you want to share those times with your husband.  I believe that while
she might have been trying to gage where I felt in order to know which
way to council me, that question hit me like a ton of bricks and I didn't
even pause to think about it before I blurted out '8'.

The road to recovery was not easy, because what I did was to leave a new
relationship that was in the very exiting time of newness specifically to
try and reconcile a dead relationship.  Not an easy journey to say the
least.  There were a lot of times in the beginning that I had to refer to
a sticky note that I had placed everywhere....'Hang on to what you know
to be true, and NOT how you feel."  I knew the truth was that staying
together was the best for all of us and it still takes hard work every
day. It's not like I don't have any regrets of where I have been.  But if
I could just tell one woman who is feeling discontented with her
circumstances, who feels like things will never be any different with her
husband, and who believes the only way to achieve any happiness at all is
to go find another man, to stop...read some of these step family stories,
picture your daughter or sons wedding being complicated with where is
everyone going to sit, and think about your children waking up in the
middle of the night with a fever crying for their Mommy only you are not
there because it's not your turn.  Maybe all that bad could be used for
something good.

I know that everyone always says don't stay together just for the kids,
but unless there is serious abuse, why not?  They are our most precious
gifts from God.  As soon as we could only focus on the welfare of the
children and make them our first and only priority, the fog began to
lift. I know we made the right decision for so many reasons.  When I read
stories like you posted, it reminds me all over again of the victory of
our success.   Oh, and did I mention the love affair I am now
experiencing with my husband and children is unbelievable.  The rewards
of our decision are much more than the satisfaction that we made the
'moral' choice.

Thank you, for your work to strengthen families.  You must be a great
therapist.
Anonymous

"Around the Coalition" shares information on marriage and divorce and on
skills-based educational approaches.  Opinions expressed are not
necessarily shared by members of the Coalition.

The subject line is unimportant.  In the message body, on the very first
line, write: "unsubscribe smartmarriages" in the message body (WITHOUT
the quotation marks).  Send this message and you will no longer receive
mail from this list.

-To SUBSCRIBE to the FREE CMFCE on-line newsletter, send a "subscribe"
message by reply email or send to: list at smartmarriages.com

ALL past newsletter postings are archived at:

The 3rd Annual Smart Marriages®/Happy Families conference will be held
July 1-4, 1999 in Washington, DC. PRE and POST conference full-day
training/certifying institutes are June 30 & July 1 AND July 5 & 6.
Registration materials are available on the website
http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html
or request a brochure by return email.

Tapes of all presentations at the 1997  & 1998 Smart Marriages
conferences: 800-241-7785 or at tapes at the-resource-link.com.  Audio tapes
are $10, video tapes are $24.95.

To list your program in the Directory of Providers visit the
Website: http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html

5310 Belt Rd. NW, Washington, DC 20015-1961
202-362-3332  (FAX 202-362-0973)   Email: cmfce at smartmarriages.com