Sample letters to pastors, court clerks, civil celebrants -Crouch

owner-smartmarriages owner-smartmarriages
Mon May 3 16:07:21 EDT 1999

from: Smart Marriages

Dear CMFCE,
I hope you'll take these letters written by John Crouch, personalize
them to suit yourself and your region (these were written for those in
the general DC area but
you could fix them to urge those farther away to attend.  We've got
people coming from Russia, China, South Africa, etc.... so we should
be able to get them to travel a few hundred miles.)
Also send me the addresses of anyone you send them
to and I'll follow up.  - diane

Diane,

These are samples of letters I'm sending to 8 pastors, 3 civil marriage
celebrants and 6 court clerks along with your brochures. Maybe people
on the list would be interested in using them as form letters.  John
Crouch

LETTER TO A MINISTER

				April 28, 1999

The Rev. Pam Foster
18 N. Washington Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Dear Pam:

	The enclosed brochure is about a conference on pre-marital
education and marriage education here in Arlington that I am going to be
attending this summer.  I thought it was something you should know about,
not just in case you were interested in attending, but also so that you
would know that this new group of "marriage educators" is out there, and
that their resources are available.  The group also has a free e-mail news
list, mostly dealing with marriage education techniques, which I have
found
useful, and a web site.  The address for the list is
cmfce at smartmarriages.com and the web site address is
http://www.smartmarriages.com.

	In addition to marriage education techniques, one thing being
discussed at the conference which I thought you might be interested in is
"Community Marriage Policies." These are non-governmental local cartels of
pastors from all denominations. They aim to ensure that people who want a
church wedding will have to undergo rigorous premarital education and
interrogation, and will not easily be able to find someone to marry them
with minimal or no preparation. The idea is to prevent bad marriages as
well as putting marriages on a more solid and realistic foundation. More
information about the Policies is available from www.marriagesavers.com or
from Mike McManus at (301) 469-5870, or from me.

	I am also enclosing an article on the conference that I wrote for
our State Bar's family law newsletter, and the portion of the marrriage
education group's on-line providers' directory that covers Northern
Virginia.

					Sincerely,

					John Crouch

jc:dr
Enclosures

LETTER TO A COURT CLERK

					April 28, 1999

The Hon. David Bell, Clerk
Circuit Court
1425 N. Court House Road, 6th Floor
Arlington, Virginia 22201

Dear Dave:

	The enclosed brochure is about a conference on pre-marital
education and marriage education here in Arlington that I am going to be
attending this summer. Since practically everyone who wants to be married
in Arlington comes through the Clerk's office, I thought I should send you
these materials, not just in case someone from your office is interested
in attending, but also so that you and your staff would know that this new
group of "marriage educators" is out there, and that their resources are
available to couples.

	I am also enclosing an article on the conference that I wrote for
our State Bar's family law newsletter, and the portion of the marriage
education group's on-line providers' directory that covers Northern
Virginia. Perhaps your office will find it feasible to make information
about marriage skills education available to couples who get marriage
licenses. Maybe some group such as the Bar Foundation, if it looked into
the matter, would be interested in covering the cost of making copies of
the providers' directory available.

	In addition to marriage education techniques, one thing being
discussed at the conference is "Community Marriage Policies." These are
non-governmental  local cartels of pastors from all denominations. They
aim
to ensure that people who want a church wedding will have to undergo
rigorous premarital education and interrogation, and will not easily be
able to find someone to marry them with minimal or no preparation. The
idea
is to prevent bad marriages as well as putting marriages on a more solid
and realistic foundation. Although the Policies are generally
non-governmental, a few civil celebrants and judges around the country
have
signed on to them. More information about the Policies is available from
www.marriagesavers.com or from Mike McManus at (301) 469-5870, or from me.

	If you want more information about the marriage educators' group,
it also has a free e-mail news list, mostly dealing with marriage
education
techniques, which I have found useful, and a web site. The address for the
list is cmfce at smartmarriages.com and the web site address is
http://www.smartmarriages.com.

				Sincerely,

				John Crouch

jc:dr
Enclosures

LETTER TO A CIVIL MARRIAGE CELEBRANT/MAGISTRATE

				April 28, 1999

The Hon. Joseph Newlin
1500 N. Court House Rd., Suite 310
Arlington, Virginia 22201

Dear Joe:

	The enclosed brochure is about a conference on pre-marital
education and marriage education here in Arlington that I am going to be
attending this summer.  I thought it was something you should know about,
not just in case you were interested in attending, but also so that you
would know that this new group of "marriage educators" is out there, and
that their resources are available for newlyweds.  The group also has a
free
e-mail news list, mostly dealing with marriage education techniques, which
I have found useful, and a web site.  The address for the list is
cmfce at smartmarriages.com and the web site address is
http://www.smartmarriages.com.

	I am also enclosing an article on the conference that I wrote for
our State Bar's family law newsletter, and the portion of the group's
on-line providers' directory that covers Northern Virginia. Perhaps you
will find it feasible to make information about marriage skills education
available to the couples whom you marry.

	In addition to marriage education techniques, one thing being
discussed at the conference is "Community Marriage Policies." Since you're
in the marriage business I thought you should know about them, even though
civil celebrants mostly aren't involved in them. Community Marriage
Policies are non-governmental local cartels of pastors from all
denominations. They aim to ensure that people who want a church wedding
will have to undergo rigorous premarital education and interrogation, and
will not easily be able to find someone to marry them with minimal or no
preparation. The idea is to prevent bad marriages as well as putting
marriages on a more solid and realistic foundation. Although the Policies
are generally non-governmental, a few civil celebrants and judges around
the country have signed on to them. More information about the Policies is
available from www.marriagesavers.com or from Mike McManus at (301)
469-5870, or from me.

				Sincerely,

				John Crouch

jc:dr
Enclosures

ALSO here is the article John enclosed that he wrote for the state bar
newsletter:

"SMART MARRIAGES" CONFERENCE
MOUNTS ATTACK ON DIVORCE CULTURE

July 1-4, 1999, Crystal Gateway Marriott, Crystal City, Arlington,
Virginia

	Marriage education is a new approach to reducing America's divorce
rate. Instead of providing therapy to struggling marriages -- often too
little, too late -- marriage education seeks to build healthy marriages
with preventive pre-marital interrogation and marriage skills training,
based on research that has identified what makes marriages work. Its
practitioners claim that long-married or newly engaged couples not only
can
learn to prevent divorce, but how to achieve and maintain satisfying
marriages and functional families. This approach is also reported to be
effective with couples who are facing serious problems.

	At the July 1-4 Smart Marriages Conference in Arlington, Virginia,
the experts who have developed and refined a variety of marital and
premarital education courses will demonstrate them and answer questions
about how to adapt or implement their approaches.  They will also offer
day-long training programs in how to provide marriage education using
their
programs. A professional counseling background is not required.

	If you want to see how Marriage Education techniques work without
paying to attend the whole conference, you can. On Saturday evening
July 3, the Marriage and Family Expo will feature seminars for the
public with short demonstrations of all the various marriage
education techniques.

	Some topics to be covered:

* How therapists can destroy marriages
* Marriage Education in the Military
* Chesterfield County, Virginia's low-budget marriage enrichment program
* Community Marriage Policies (see below)
* Michele Weiner-Davis's "Divorce Busting"
* Marriage Reconciliation Mediation
* Marriage Education in High Schools, including the ABA "PARTNERS" program
* Teen abstinence
* Dozens of other premarital or marriage-saving programs and techniques.

	Non-governmental Community Marriage Policies are adopted by local
cartels of pastors, rabbis and other clerics. They aim to ensure that
people who want a church wedding will have to undergo rigorous premarital
education and interrogation. They also help churches provide preventive
support programs for existing marriages. Services are provided by teams of
clergy and lay people. Newport News, Culpeper and Woodbridge have
Community
Marriage Policies, and ones for the Richmond and D.C. metropolitan areas
are in the works.  This is a clergy-led effort, but they are also trying
get other community leaders involved in promoting the policies. A group
called Marriage Savers has been formed for that purpose. The group's
studies show significant reductions of divorce rates, and a doubling in
the
number of people who break off their engagements, in cities with the
policies.

	Complete workshop, public seminar and training descriptions are
available under "Conference Details" on the conference's home page
(www.smartmarriages.com) and in the conference brochure. To receive a
brochure and registration form call Diane Sollee, Director, at (202)
362-3332, or e-mail your name and address to the Coalition for Marriage,
Family and Couples Education (CMFCE at smartmarriages.com). You can also
register for the conference on the web page.

"Around the Coalition" shares information on marriage and divorce and on
skills-based educational approaches.  Opinions expressed are not
necessarily shared by members of the Coalition.

-To UNSBSCRIBE send a message to: majordomo at his.com with
"unsubscribe smartmarriages" in the message body WITHOUT the quotation
marks.
-To SUBSCRIBE to the FREE CMFCE on-line newsletter, send a "subscribe"
message by reply email or send to: list at smartmarriages.com

ALL past newsletter postings are archived at:

The 3rd Annual Smart Marriages®/Happy Families conference will be held
July 1-4, 1999 in Washington, DC. PRE and POST conference full-day
training/certifying institutes are June 30 & July 1 AND July 5 & 6.
Registration materials are available on the website
http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html
or request a brochure by return email.

Tapes of all presentations at the 1997  & 1998 Smart Marriages
conferences: 800-241-7785 or at tapes at the-resource-link.com.  Audio tapes
are $10, video tapes are $24.95.

To list your program in the Directory of Providers visit the
Website: http://www.smartmarriages.com/directory_browse.html

5310 Belt Rd. NW, Washington, DC 20015-1961
202-362-3332  (FAX 202-362-0973)   Email: cmfce at smartmarriages.com